Planning for 2018 with Turkey
2017 is quickly winding down, and your shoppers are immersed in holiday gatherings, gift buying and New Year’s plans. As a Retail Dietitian, however, your focus is already well into 2018. “In December, planning for the new year is in full swing,” says Lauren Tulig, Nutrition Communications Manager for Skogen’s Festival Foods and member of the National Turkey Federation’s Advisory Board. “We spend time researching the new year’s trends and how we can capitalize on them. For example, we know that ethnic foods and flavors will continue to gain popularity in 2018, so we’ve centered our theme on World to Your Table.”
Sarah Glunz, Lead Nutritionist for Giant Food Stores and Martin's Food Markets and National Turkey Federation Advisory Board Member, agrees that this time of year is for creating a plan for January-June activities, such as classes, store tours, and sampling events. She shares some of her favorite ways to engage customers while creating more basket rings for your retailer:
- January is a time for recommitment to self-care through meal planning, 'cleaning up' our diets after the holidays, and restocking the pantry. This is a great time to promote quick, balanced dinner ideas with turkey, such as Mexican Turkey Meatballs with Creamy Salsa.
- February is Heart Month, and what a better time to promote turkey, a lean protein choice. Share healthy recipe ideas, such as Turkey and Vegetable Cous Cous, through in-store demos.
- March is National Nutrition Month, and 2018’s theme is “Go Further with Food.” You can help your shoppers get the most out of their purchases by teaching them how to cook once and eat twice (or more). A big pot of San Antonio Red Turkey Chili with Black Beans can be stretched out over several meals, or frozen for weeknight dinners.
- April kicks off with holiday celebrations for Easter and Passover. During store tours, talk about how turkey pairs well with spring fruits and vegetables such as asparagus, arugula or apricots for festive meals, such as this Apricot Glazed Turkey.
- May is, of course, the month to honor Mom, but it also marks the beginning of grilling season. Turkey is a delicious star of the grill. Highlight a “grill meal” kit in your stores with the tools, seasoning ingredients and choice of turkey meat tenderloin, turkey drumstick or ground turkey to fire up your shoppers. Share this grilling tip sheet to help them get it right.
- June is Turkey Lovers’ Month® and the time to celebrate the 3rd annual National Turkey Lovers’ Day, on Father’s Day, Sunday, June 17th. With barbecue becoming more and more popular, turkey is a convenient and versatile option for achieving that tender, smoked, fall-of-the-bones deliciousness, like in these Grilled Chipotle Turkey Drumsticks with Mango BBQ Glaze.
As you plan your activities and promotions for the coming year, turkey lends itself to all meal occasions. It serves as an ideal host for a variety of flavors and delivers the taste and nutritional benefits your shoppers demand.